directory-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [naming][sitedocs] wondering why the horizontal nav at top for naming has gifs in it now
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:39:01 GMT
Brett Porter wrote:

>> I really want to revert back to relative links.
>

> I think that's a good idea, given the usage of the links.
>
>> If you agree I can do the same for naming: just say the word  However
>> for generating sites for a distro this will make those links break.
>> Is there anything we can do to prevent this from happening?
>

> temporary solution: swap in a new nav as a preGoal on dist?

Fine by me. Or maybe stomp the baseDirectoryURL property in the dist
preGoal?  In any case, I will rig something. I will change back to
relative links if Alex doesn't get to it first.

How can I get the subproject xdocs tasks to "see" the base project
property?  I had to go back to cut and paste when I discovered that this
did not work.

Another logical possibility, which I am not recommending that we do
right away, but which we may want to think about, is keeping absolute
links, but changing the host name in those links, storing host names in
config files and allowing the "publish" process to update properties to
the production host(s).  This would enable link-checking across staged
apache web sites when others start to use the infrastructure.  We don't
really *need* this now -- at least not for Directory -- but it might be
a good thing for the site plugin to support.

Phil