directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject [AuthX] version numbers
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:53:22 GMT
Hi Vince,

Just some advice after I just noticed that you're using a 0.1 release
number.  I know we are not doing external releases of AuthX but it might
be worth while for you to do an internal release and bump up the number
to 0.2 to represent something stable.  Then you can tag the 0.2 and
continue forward with new features in the trunk on 0.3.

Oh and btw I noticed that some people have the notion that once we reach
0.9, 1.0 is the next step up.  For me 0.9's next step was 0.10 and then
0.11, 0.12 ... et. cetera. which is the way Linux version numbers work
(even minor numbers are stable and odd ones are experimental feature
addition releases).  1.0 is an arbitrarily determined point in time
where the community says, yes this is a version of the product that can
be made generally available where it meets most of the requirements to
be viable in a production environment.

One of the main reasons why I do *not* like bumping 0.9 to 1.0 is
because it presents an artificial ceiling.  We have to work within a
rigid set of revisions.  I'd rather add features and get them released
rapidly without worrying about making the server GA by a certain time.
It is GA when it is GA.  We'll know when we have reached this point.  I
don't know if these ideas however are applicable to an API.  Regardless
I would probably opt to apply the same tactic so release mgnt is
standardized across the board.

My 0.02 cents,
Alex