directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [naming][sitedocs] wondering why the horizontal nav at top for naming has gifs in it now
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:30:41 GMT
Hi Phil,

I started converting some of the project sitedocs so the horizontal
navbar at the top has absolute links.  I then of course deployed and
tried to test things out.  I started getting royally confused because
testing in the staging area took me without noticing to the live area
when playing with the navbar.  This is natural because of the absolute
paths obviously.  As a result of this excercise and the pitfalls I just
incountered I highly recommend sticking to relative links.  I can't
stress this enough.

I thought I was loosing my mind for a while since I was keeping one
browser window for staging and another for the live area.  I thought the
staging mechanism was broken or the plugin was at fault as my staging
area links took me to the live area.  It got really ugly and confusing
making the tests for staging areas harder to perform.

I really want to revert back to relative links.  If you agree I can do
the same for naming: just say the word  However for generating sites for
a distro this will make those links break.  Is there anything we can do
to prevent this from happening?

Thanks,
Alex