directory-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [janus] New name
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2005 06:07:51 GMT
Tencé, Vincent wrote:
>>On Wednesday 05 January 2005 14:19, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>
>>>Is it sufficiently generic?  Security has all sorts of
>>
>>connotations.  Is
>>
>>>Janus specifically an AAA framework?
>>
>>I agree that Security Framework could mean anything from
>>encryption to AAA to
>>security access system in buildings and more.
>>
>>triple-ay seems more reasonable.
>

> I agree that Security is maybe too generic, but it generally refers to
> Authentication and Authorization Services in the Java Server world. The
> feedback I had from AAA is that nobody knows what it means, it's rather
> cryptic. In that respect, I'd rather include Security in the name, or
> explicitly Authentication and Authorization.
>
> So I would favor:
> 1. Apache Security Framework
> or
> 2. Apache Authentication and Authorization Framework
>
> WDYT?
>
> - Vincent

Among the 2 above, I would definitely favor 2., since I agree that
security is too broad.  I also hear you about people not knowing what
aaa is. I remember asking Alex once what "AAA for Avalon" meant ;-)

Another short, boring, but widely used name that captures much of the
guts of what is going on in Janus is "authZ", which we could use as a
package / artifact id root, postponing selection of a "product-like"
name until the community develops more.  Sort of like the old "ldapd"
name.  I know technically it should be "authZ + authN" (like 2 says), so
maybe just "auth" or "authX"? Just a thought.

Phil