directory-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Directory project releases II
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2005 05:47:27 GMT
Brett Porter wrote:
> Quoting Phil Steitz <phil@steitz.com>:
>

>>Any additional comments on the tarballs that I have up now
>><http://www.apache.org/~psteitz/naming> would be appreciated.
>

> Looking really good!
>
> I assume you still had to add the ant build, as that isn't in there.

Right.  I checked it into cvs, but have not rebuilt the distro.  If you
could update and have a look, that would be great.  I commented the
stuff that I had to change in the maven-generated files.

> The docs in the binary have some links to /seda/, etc, which should probably be
> made absolute in navigation.xml.

Ack.  Need to fix that.  Problem is that these links may break later.
Maybe should eliminate them?

> Not anything specifically to do with the release, but something that just
> occurred to me. The subdirectory structure in the source bundle is confusing
> (and likewise in SVN).
>
> Directories like "config", "java" and "resources" don't strike me as
> subprojects. Is it worth renaming them to naming-config, naming-java,
> naming-resources, etc? I usually prefer that way anyway, but in this particular
> example I think it is especially important.

I am all for making things clearer. Following the artifact ids (which
include the "naming-") is probably better.  erAnyone disagree?

Aren't we lucky to be using svn :-)

Two other things I have been thinking about:

1. Change "subproject" to "package" or "jar" everywhere that it appears
on the web pages.  This term is misleading. Any preference on the
replacement term?

2. Unified javadoc. I can see no clean way to do it using maven pre/post
goals, but can see a stupid brute force way to do it in ant. Is this
worth doing and can we somehow get maven to do it as part of the
multiproject site build?

Phil