directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: ADS vs Directory vs Server :)
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2005 05:28:27 GMT
Brett Porter wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Thought I'd chime in with my opinion here. This is really just my opinion, so
>feel free to just say no :)

:)

>I'll reference the specific examples from the last POM, but in summary:
>- I suggest just using "directory" where appropriate
>- if already following directory, use /directory/server/ instead of
>/directory/directory/

We can do 'server' for the folder name sure.  I guess it also makes
sense to use it as the prefix in email subjects.  However there may be
many variants of the server or multiple servers that result.  Perhaps
I'm trying to read too far into the future here.

>I understand the pain this is: Maven suffers from this more now that it is both
>a project (with subprojects) and something itself.

Tell me about it.  Balancing these names is getting frustrating.  I want
to make sure we factor in all opinions but as you note there are some
reasons behind these decisions due to all the parts.  I just need to
outline the reasons one by one and we can take another pass.

>>-    <package>org.apache.eve</package>
>>+    <package>org.apache.ldap.server</package>

I used this package name because in the ldap subproject their are
clients and common libraries.  The client code uses the o.a.ldap.client
package and the common code (used in the server and clients) is within
the o.a.ldap.common package.  I thought if others want to avoid 'ads' as
the package base (which btw I think is short and sweet) then I'll make
the base symetric by building on this existing packaging scheme with
o.a.ldap.server.  Only natural no?

>why not just o.a.directory since the other packages are not including
>.directory? Or if they are, o.a.d.server?

Good point but directory alone does not reflect that the code in the
package is specifically for the server.  It gets a little confusing
IMO.  I'd reather go with org.apache.ldap.server or org.apache.ads.

>>-    <url>http://incubator.apache.org/directory/eve/</url>
>>+    <url>http://incubator.apache.org/directory/ads/</url>
>>

>I think when following /directory/, /server/ is better than ads.

Ok let's do that then.  We can use DIRSERVER for issue tracking as
well.  See below ...

>>-
>><issueTrackingUrl>http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIREVE</issueTrackingUrl>
>>+
>><issueTrackingUrl>http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRADS</issueTrackingUrl>
>>

>This was a bit premature? Can these actually be changed?

I thought we could but it does not look like I can darn (&**%^#)^#.  I
gotta rename DIRSNICKERS, DIRSEDA and DIREVE though.  Any ideas on how
we can do this?  Perhaps I just need to create the new JIRA project and
migrate issues.

>If so, I'd simply go for DIRECTORY.

But what about how we use DIR as the prefix for the subprojects?  Also
we already have a DIRECTORY jira for tasks/issues that do not apply to a
specific subproject.  If we go with the folder name of 'server' then we
can do DIRSERVER and that works with the present jira scheme.

>scm:svn:http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator:directory/ads/trunk/${module.path}
>
>again, in SVN I'd go for directory/server

Yep I'm liking this choice the more I read on.

>>+      The Apache Directory Server (ADS) is an embeddable LDAPv3 directory
>>

>I really don't like that three-letter-acronym :)

Why do I always like names others dislike or ones that infringe on TMs.
What bothers you about ads? Just curious.  I like it even though it
sounds like ADvertisementS.  It keeps names short and is the acronym for
the name of the server.  Just how much confusion will it really cause.
I'm not convinced it would cause all that much confusion.

You might get a chuckle out of this one - someone ;) emailed me off list
and suggested Apache Information Directory Server or AIDS for short as a
joke.

>>+        <name>Apache Directory Developement - use [dirserv] prefix</name>
>>

>[server] ?

k np we'll use that.  So just to summarize the things (+ for agree and -
disagree with my preference):

+ Email Subject Prefix: [server]
+ Apache Directory Server SVN Folder: server
+ JIRA Subproject: DIRSERVER
- Package Name: org.apache.ldap.server
Executable jar with bundled deps: dir-server-${version}.jar

If these choices are cool with everyone I can immediately start
refactoring package names and tidying up.  I'd like to have the sitedocs
massaged, and jars generated for folks to take a look before another
release attempt within the week.

Thanks,
Alex