directory-dev mailing list archives

From Vincent Tence <vte...@videotron.ca>
Subject Re: [apache directory server] How to release the server?
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 04:06:09 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Same message previously labeled [ads] ...
>
> <previous-email-body/>
>
> Now that consensus has been reached on a external product release of naming and "the
server" we have a couple questions that need to be answered.   But first some background ...

> The Apache Directory Server (ADS) can come in two configurations:
>
> 1)  The first standard configuration is as an executable jar with only the LDAP protocol.

> 2). Another configuration is as a standalone executable jar with Kerberos and LDAP protocols
together so the server can be both a directory server and authentication server in one.  Here
the Kerberos sevice stores realm and configuration information in the directory and exposes
its configuration via LDAP.  However note that for security the LDAP port can be shut off
while still storing the realm within the directory - yeah this sounds strange I know but its
an option.

> With these configurations shall we release a single jar for #1, #2 or for both?  I recommend
releasing both for example as:

> ads-${version}.jar, and
>
> ads-krb5-${version}.jar or ads-kerberos-${version}.jar, whatever...
>
> WDYT?
>
> Alex

It's up to you. At this point (preview release), I don't see a problem
in releasing a single jar.

- Vincent