directory-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Directory project releases II
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 09:37:04 GMT
Phil Steitz wrote:

> I feel like [naming] is OK from an oversight standpoint at this point,
> but honestly, just barely (thanks to input from Hen, Brett, Noel and
> Alex).

I think naming is fine in that regard, and should be considered for
release at this point as a separate component as it is mature, has a
number of people looking at it, and it is both useful on its own, and
within applications such as Tomcat and potentially Directory.

>> I've learned this the hard way with Maven. Everybody had a piece of
>> it pre-1.0
>

> Was some of this due to the plugins, which are sort of analogous to
> our components?  Would you have had an easier time if you limited the
> initial set of plugins?

Absolutely. It is somewhat different, but there are definite parallels.
Featuritis at one point led to a graveyard of half-finished or
unsupported plugins that still remain for backwards compatibility, but
little more.

- Brett