directory-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Directory project releases II
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 08:05:52 GMT

Alex Karasulu wrote:
> As an aside I'd like to have a clear understanding of what the
> difference is between an internal release verses a public release?
> Right now I'm under the impression that there is *not* much difference:

There is.

A release marks a product. A product must be supported individually. And
this needs an independent community. Something that is against the needs
of this project ATM IMHO.

Look at Cocoon: it has lots of stuff that can be refactored... and it
did it by putting them in Avalon. Did it make Cocoon better? No, it made
it worse, even if there was cross-commit capability with most developers.

Don't mix separate compilation steps and artifacts with separate
products. Cocoon itself has multiple jars, but it's still a single release.

Decide on what you are doing and supporting, and release just that.

AFAIK, this project is making a Directory Server. Release it :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -