directory-dev mailing list archives

From <akaras...@locus.apache.org>
Subject Re: RE: [janus] New name
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 22:53:11 GMT

> From: "Tencé, Vincent"
> 	 <vtence@optimuminformatique.com>
> Date: 2005/01/05 Wed PM 04:48:22 EST
> To: 'Apache Directory Developers List'
> 	 <directory-dev@incubator.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: [janus] New name
>
> > On Wednesday 05 January 2005 14:19, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > > Is it sufficiently generic?  Security has all sorts of
> > connotations.  Is
> > > Janus specifically an AAA framework?
> >
> > I agree that Security Framework could mean anything from
> > encryption to AAA to
> > security access system in buildings and more.
> >
> > triple-ay seems more reasonable.
>
> I agree that Security is maybe too generic, but it generally refers to
> Authentication and Authorization Services in the Java Server world. The
> feedback I had from AAA is that nobody knows what it means, it's rather
> cryptic. In that respect, I'd rather include Security in the name, or
> explicitly Authentication and Authorization.
>
> So I would favor:
> 1. Apache Security Framework
> or
> 2. Apache Authentication and Authorization Framework
>
> WDYT?

Out of curtosy I'll support which ever you are most comfortable with.  I'm sure both are
just fine as they are free of TM issues.

With that said I think I'm a tiny bit partial to #1 though just because it gives
you room to grow the API to handle ancillary things that facilitate AAA but may not
necessarily be central to performing AAA.  You never know what lies ahead.
Plus I think Phil was interested in getting involved too and that might lead to
other good things.

As long as you capture the general concept so people are intrigued enough to
look at the docs and explore the exact functionality behind the name you're doing
fine.  It is after all a security framework so calling it that is not misleading or
nebulous.  I always have to drill down into a product what ever it is called to
understand the feature set.

Cheers,
Alex