directory-dev mailing list archives

From <>
Subject Re: Re: [asn1] Stateful Decoder question.
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 19:19:07 GMT

> From: Richard Wallace <>
> Date: 2005/01/05 Wed PM 02:09:42 EST
> To: Apache Directory Developers List <>
> Subject: Re: [asn1] Stateful Decoder question.
> wrote:
> > BTW Robert and Richard, I intend to change the interfaces for these codecs in the
[asn1] package but this does not mean that something equivalent to it will not be found in
the protocol API.  Meaning I intend to take the protocol API interfaces which are to be determined
and wrap/adapt the new interfaces for asn1 codecs with it.  I'm thinking these protocol APIs
will be more general to accomodate all protocol codecs while the one for ASN.1 may be more

> > So just saying this so you don't get alarmed about this.  Things will change but
eventually protocol provider API should be flexible enought to wrap around your own stuff
which can be more specific.

> Understood.  That's pretty much what I was expecting and one reason
> (other than lack of time) that I've been holding off on any actual
> implementation.  I was really hoping the Dec. 27 release would happen
> and then everyone would start hammering on the protocol api, mina and
> sedang.  But, as an AI professor of mine once told me, life is what
> happens when you're making plans. ;)

Ha!  How true that is.  It's all good though.  I have come to appreciate doing things gradually.
 Somethings just cannot be pushed no matter how hard you try.  The release will happen and
so will the refactoring not to mention an incubator exit.  All in due time.

I love that quote - will use it some day myself :)

View raw message