directory-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [apache directory server] How to release the server?
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 03:13:29 GMT
On Wednesday 05 January 2005 07:03, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> The Apache Directory Server (ADS) can come in two configurations:
>
> 1)  The first standard configuration is as an executable jar with only the
> LDAP protocol.
>
> 2). Another configuration is as a standalone executable jar with Kerberos
> and LDAP protocols together so the server can be both a directory server
> and authentication server in one.  Here the Kerberos sevice stores realm
> and configuration information in the directory and exposes its
> configuration via LDAP.  However note that for security the LDAP port can
> be shut off while still storing the realm within the directory - yeah this
> sounds strange I know but its an option.
>
> With these configurations shall we release a single jar for #1, #2 or for
> both?  I recommend releasing both for example as:

I belong in the camp that likes many Jar files, since that makes "scale right"
more easily achievable. Cocoon is a great example.

> ads-${version}.jar, and
>
> ads-krb5-${version}.jar or ads-kerberos-${version}.jar, whatever...
>
> WDYT?

"ads-" is IMHO too diffuse (and like Noel, give me all kinds of other
associations). "directory-" is a better choice. All IMVHO, of course.

Cheers
Niclas
--
Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

|   http://www.dpml.net        |
|  http://niclas.hedhman.org   |