directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: RE: [VOTE] Directory project releases II
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:21:48 GMT
Excuse my late response to recent messages on this thread - I've been out of pocket.

WRT Steve's comments, I fixed the license issues a couple days ago, 15 minutes after he noticed
the problem to be exact.  As for Javadocs, naming is a JNDI provider and any Javadocs would
be on internal classes and interfaces.  The exposed API is the JNDI, which is documented in
the Jdk docs.  However providing javadocs on these internal classes on the site and in the
distro are a plus.  IMO this should not prevent the release though.  Also note Steve, that
being in the incubator does not prevent us from releasing: it just imposes stricter criteria.

Now WRT the other issues concerning the release of internal packages I can still go both ways
but am leaning now more towards keeping it simple with the core products.  I think Brett's
commentary pulled me over.  Although no one cast a veto with -0 votes on this matter these
opinions are very important.  Brett, Noel, Nicola, Roy, and you Phil made some excellent points
and you guys are much more experienced here than I.  This is where one must just concede to
the wisdom of others and the consensus of the community.  So with that said I'm on board with
the external release of the server and naming.  Other API's can be managed as internal releases
like with Cocoon as Nicola pointed out which has several jars composing the server.

To summarize we have several +1s and the consensus to only release our core products.  However
Steve does have a veto and this must be addressed.

After the responses to your veto Steve are you willing to retract it? Otherwise we're still
in limbo here :).   Personally I'd like to get on with development and there is sooo much
to do.

Thanks much,
Alex