directory-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject ADS vs Directory vs Server :)
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 22:33:25 GMT
Hi,

Thought I'd chime in with my opinion here. This is really just my opinion, so
feel free to just say no :)

I'll reference the specific examples from the last POM, but in summary:
- I suggest just using "directory" where appropriate
- if already following directory, use /directory/server/ instead of
/directory/directory/

I understand the pain this is: Maven suffers from this more now that it is both
a project (with subprojects) and something itself.

> -    <package>org.apache.eve</package>
> +    <package>org.apache.ldap.server</package>

why not just o.a.directory since the other packages are not including
.directory? Or if they are, o.a.d.server?

> -    <url>http://incubator.apache.org/directory/eve/</url>
> +    <url>http://incubator.apache.org/directory/ads/</url>

I think when following /directory/, /server/ is better than ads.

> -
> <issueTrackingUrl>http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIREVE</issueTrackingUrl>
> +
> <issueTrackingUrl>http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRADS</issueTrackingUrl>

This was a bit premature? Can these actually be changed?

If so, I'd simply go for DIRECTORY.

scm:svn:http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator:directory/ads/trunk/${module.path}

again, in SVN I'd go for directory/server

> +      The Apache Directory Server (ADS) is an embeddable LDAPv3 directory

I really don't like that three-letter-acronym :)

> +        <name>Apache Directory Developement - use [dirserv] prefix</name>

[server] ?

HTH,
Brett