directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Getting a sense of the subproject structure
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:14:29 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

>   The project structure for directory is mixed up, and there isn't a
>   clear picture of how they relate.

Sounds like a good diagram and docs page.

> seda - lowest level network only layer

Implements Pipeline Architecture model.

> snickers/ldap - protocol provider for integrating with the ldap server

Snickers - ASN.1 encoding
LDAP is a user of ASN.1 encoding, but is not the only one.

> naming - JNDI provider for working with embedded or networked
>          ldap server
> eve - the LDAP server on steroids
> kerberos - the kerberos authentication protocol

Close enough.

> I am not too certain on "janus" and "rms" what they would be.

Janus == AAA (Authentication, Authorization and Auditing) if I recall
correctly.

RMS == lightweight, non-standards based, AAA.

Both are a bit immature at the moment, if I recall correctly.

And I haven't had a chance to bring it up, yet, but (sorry Alex), we need to
add support for another wirelevel protocol and naming structure.  We need to
support CosNaming.  Why?  Because it is EJB/J2EE requirement.

> I would like to set up some modifications to the project heirarchy

I'm not entirely sure on your proposal, but have no issue with the general
idea of organizing the project structure to be understandable.

	--- Noel