directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <>
Subject RE: [release] How are we all progressing
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2004 04:10:28 GMT
Phil Steitz wrote:

> [all sorts of good things ...]

Ironically, I was discussing this with Alex just this afternoon.

> From what I have observed, it can save time and wrangling over
> the same old problems over and over again if we just decide to
> follow the pattern of another apache project

Actually, I don't agree.  Now that we've switched to SVN, I believe that we
have new workflow patterns that we can evaluate and improve upon how we did
things with CVS.  I'd like to see us explore new ways, and if they work
well, we can provide a model for how release management is done.

One thought is this ...

For a given Release, we decide which component(s) are going to be put out in
a coordinated fashion for that Release.  This may not be all of the
components, and components may be independently releasable, hence the
separate {ttb} structures under them, but we are likely to do coordinated
releases, as well.  An example would be that even though SEDA be be released
separately, a given Release of Eve is going to be tested and built with a
particular version of SEDA.

Once we have decided upon the set of components, the Release Manager will
setup a directory structure, possibly off the project root, to hold the
components that will make up that particular coordinated release.  For each
component, we may have a tag (marking the state of the component at the time
we start the process) and a branch (marking the current state of that
component).  For each component, development will continue in its {ttb}
structure as normal.  The Release Manager will decide what to merge from the
component development tree into the release branch.  No one else will merge
into the release structure.  At the point where the release happens, the
release branch can be copied back to the development tree's tags/ directory
as a marker.

That's a strawman.  Feel free to modify.

	--- Noel

View raw message