directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject Integrating naming
Date Fri, 31 Dec 2004 07:59:51 GMT
The naming package is a standalone, embedded service provider that provides
an in-memory context.  It shares common JNDI issues such as parsing, Object
and State factories, etc., but it does not currently have a strong runtime
link to the rest of our architecture.  This is a proposal to change that via
a quite simple and useful route.

I propose that we look at naming as the visible piece that is embedded, with
persistent contexts registered with naming.  Namespace Federation would take
care of the rest.

An off-the-cuff approach is:

  <resource name="foo" type="java.naming.DirContext">
    <parameter>
      <name>context</name>
      <value>location in persistent DIT</value>
    </parameter>
  </resource>

So when I refer to foo in my local context, name space federation takes me
through to the baseURL, which is in the directory server.  This would work
nicely in embedded and remote modes of operation, would isolate application
code from actually knowing which was used, and leverage all of the other
features of naming.

Further examples:

  <!-- context in local JNDI server -->
  <resource name="mycontext" type="java.naming.DirContext">
    <parameter>
      <name>context</name>
      <value>jndi:path/to/context</value>
    </parameter>
  </resource>

  <!-- context in remote LDAP server -->
  <resource name="groups" type="java.naming.DirContext">
    <parameter>
      <name>context</name>
      <value>ldap://ldap.mydomain.tld/ou=groups,dc=mydomain,dc=tld</value>
    </parameter>
  </resource>

Thoughts?

	--- Noel