directory-dev mailing list archives

From Roy T. Fielding <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Directory project releases
Date Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:58:43 GMT
-1  The incubator status file does not reflect any progress towards
     clearing the IP (you MUST update that file).

Furthermore, the release artifacts use names that are trademarked and in
use by other projects.  Some questions need to be answered, while others
require a rename:

   1) Has Matt Walsh approved transfer of the SEDA name?  Is that library
      a direct descendant of <http://sourceforge.net/projects/seda/>, in
      which case the version numbering should be 4.0, or does it merely
use
      his architecture (in which case it is wrong to use the name)?

   2) Eve is a trademark of CCP Ltd. for use in on-line software.  We
cannot
      legally distribute software under that name.

   3) Janus is a trademark of Janus International Holding Co, which has
      actively defended it in other contexts:

<http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2002/d2002-0201.html>.
      Janus is also the name of several software projects and at least
one
      software company.  I do not consider it sufficiently free of risk
      be used as the name of an Apache product.

   4) Snickers is a trademark of MARS, Inc.  It is actively defended and
      used on-line, and thus unlikely to be usable by the ASF for more
than
      a few months before they send us a Cease & Desist.

   5) Kerberos is a trademark of MIT.  We cannot legally distribute
software
      under that name.

It is the responsibility of all Apache projects to search for and verify
compliance with trademark law prior to release of products that might be
considered an infringement.

....Roy