directory-dev mailing list archives

From Enrique Rodriguez <erodrig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about project names.
Date Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:02:02 GMT
Phil Steitz wrote:
> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>> BTW I asked on #asf to see what people's opinions are.  Noel and Brett
>> Porter thought it makes sense to keep it together since thsee projects
>> are all interrelated and used.  Personally I would rather address your
>> concerns now and split if we have to.  We can still work with this
>> code to build an LDAP server even if it is in different incubator
>> projects.  It will just be inconvenient but hardly impossible to do.
>

> FWIW, I am in the keep it together camp.  I think there is *great*
> potential in Directory and its community.  Partly because of the size of
> the problem space and the great talent assembled, things have sort of
> taken off a little independently. Roy is giving us good feedback and we
> need to listen to it, but I don't think we need to split things up just
> yet and I think it would be a mistake to do so.

What Phil said.  I don't think it makes sense to split this up.  Kudos
to Alex for the tight diagram.  We need to think more like that.

As for the concept that developers are working a bit independently, I am
fine with that.  The problem space is too wide and too deep for people
to not specialize a bit.  I respect the other developers on this project
and would rather leave key decisions to them.  I dislike, tremendously,
"design by committee."  If I had to follow all the discussions of the
in's-and-out's of networking front-ends, the JNDI backend, the build
process, or the choice of repo, I would never get any coding done.  I've
found that any time we need to negotiate component boundaries or I
request a new feature, we discuss options and people quickly move on to
implementation.

-enrique