directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Directory project releases
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:15:28 GMT
Vincent Tence wrote:

> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>

>> Janus is "God of Gates and Doorways" and a moon of Saturn was named
>> after him in 1966.
>> http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/profile.cfm?Object=Sat_Janus
>>
>> The sited web page is about arbitration of a domain name and to
>> regain control of such domain name. Janus Capital Group does not seem
>> to go after every use of Janus, so it is not a matter of trademark
>> issue;
>> http://www.janus-software.com/
>> http://www-odp.tamu.edu/database/
>> http://www.janus-eu.org/Temp2/index-f.htm
>> http://www.janusassociates.com/
>> http://www.janusdevelopment.com/
>>
>> and endless others.
>>
>> Niclas
>

> Keeping Janus would be best. Otherwise, AAA is too hard to pronounce,
> maybe "triplea" would be better. In fact, any name easy to pronounce
> and remember would do it for me.

I like the name Janus too.  If we can keep it that would be great
unfortunately this is going to make too many of the final decision
makers uncomfortable.  Legally we're probably fine (again after looking
into Niclas' points) but again that's ultimately up to the ASF legal
folks.

If you feel strongly about keeping the name you might want to continue
lobbying for it but be prepared to delay a release and possibly have to
concede to a rename based on what a lawyer or ASF Incubator PMC may
finally say.  Ultimately it is their call.  The same goes for names like
Eve.  We can release different parts of directory separately in the
meantime to accomodate.  However if you yourself think this is not worth
the time and energy then let's swiftly rename things and forge ahead.
Let us know what you want to do and we can change our plans for this
release accordingly.

snickers -> asn1 renamed

Now for the record Snickers is a lost cause.  I really like the name for
the Snacc4J replacement - its was catchy but there was no way in hell we
could hold on to that.  It was a bummer but I should have seen it
comming when Rob named it that.  Anyway I already completed the
snickers->asn1 rename for packages and projects.  I shall update the
site in a few minutes as well to reflect the changes.

Alex