directory-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: [release] Call for names
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:25:24 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:

>> Janus - "security" or "aaa"
>

> "aaa" sounds ok are there any trademark issues there with like AAA
> road service?

DirSec   for Directory Security?

>> Snickers - "codec", "ber-codec" or "protocol"
>>
> Hmmm all good tries thanks.  However codec may be too general and ber
> may be too specific because it will have DER/CER and hopefully PER
> codecs.  Then oh I forgot about Alan's stub compiler which is not a
> codec at all.  Perhaps we can call it the Apache ASN1 Library or
> something to that effect which is all encompassing.  This way the name
> is not 'cute' but it's to the point and one knows what this stuff is
> about.  Enrique searched for any trademarks on ASN.1 ASN1 and "ASN
> One".  Nothing is out there which makes sense since it is a standard.

ASNdotOne ?

Whatever works, although I must say I would prefer to stay away from
Janus anything.  When I saw the name Janus, my mind did not go to
mythological names but to Janus Securities.

--

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better
idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far,