directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [release] Call for names
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:42:34 GMT
Phil Steitz wrote:

> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We definately need to rename Janus and Snickers for sure.  The other
>> issues sited my need some resolution but these two we're pretty
>> certain about.  So any name suggestions?
>>
>> Alex
>

> Here are some "boring" name ideas:

:)

> Janus - "security" or "aaa"

"aaa" sounds ok are there any trademark issues there with like AAA road
service?

> Snickers - "codec", "ber-codec" or "protocol"

Hmmm all good tries thanks.  However codec may be too general and ber
may be too specific because it will have DER/CER and hopefully PER
codecs.  Then oh I forgot about Alan's stub compiler which is not a
codec at all.  Perhaps we can call it the Apache ASN1 Library or
something to that effect which is all encompassing.  This way the name
is not 'cute' but it's to the point and one knows what this stuff is
about.  Enrique searched for any trademarks on ASN.1 ASN1 and "ASN
One".  Nothing is out there which makes sense since it is a standard.

BTW I think Vincent is on vacation.  I'd hate to change the name of this
stuff without consulting with him on it.  However from Niclas' last post
it does seem like Janus might be ok.   After carefully reading the link
provided by Roy Feilding it does look like we can use Janus according to
the info Niclas has provided.

Alex