directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Directory project releases
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2004 04:16:10 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> -1  The incubator status file does not reflect any progress towards
>     clearing the IP (you MUST update that file).

Yes I should have updated this ages ago.  Thanks for catching it.

> Furthermore, the release artifacts use names that are trademarked and in
> use by other projects.  Some questions need to be answered, while others
> require a rename:

Before discussing each specific item below I'd like to point out a few
things.  The ASF had through the incubator given us a link to an online
service for looking up trademarks.  We were told this service should be
used to determine if there were any infringements with project names.  I
personally used the service for two of the names cited in the items
below.  According to the ASF the existance of any trademark alone was
not an issue.  For there to be an infringement the trademark would have
to fall within the same field and domain where the names also match
exactly.  In the case of the Eve Directory Server for example, the
presence of a trademark for "Eve Online", an online game would not be an
infringement.  I understand your concern but this is not the same name.
BTW note that "Eve Online" did not exist in 2002 when we first started
using the name Eve Directory Server for this project.

 From the language and terms on the incubator site I was completely
under the impression that this kind of name use would not present any
legal issues.

>   1) Has Matt Walsh approved transfer of the SEDA name?  Is that library
>      a direct descendant of <http://sourceforge.net/projects/seda/>, in
>      which case the version numbering should be 4.0, or does it
> merely  use
>      his architecture (in which case it is wrong to use the name)?

No there is no relation between our seda package and the SEDA project on
Sourceforge.  We just named this thing, seda because we had no name for
it at the time.  SEDA is what it is as far as the architecture used.
It's like naming a cat, cat.  I think the SEDA project on Sourceforge
actually calls the respective code with the same fuction Sandstorm.
SEDA is an acronym used for Staged Event Driven Architecture as you
probably already know.  It was part of Matt Welsh's doctoral thesis and
hence the name and the technology is not something that can hold a
trademark.  At least this is my understanding - perhaps this can be
clarified by legal.

Furthermore the concept of Threads for example was invented by some OS
manufacturer but there are threads implementations all over like
pthreads.  When does it become an infringement?  If we call a SEDA
implementation seda?  See what I mean? Its kind of nebulous here.  I'd
like some clarification myself. Regardless I'm totally fine with
changing the name here.

>   2) Eve is a trademark of CCP Ltd. for use in on-line software.  We
> cannot
>      legally distribute software under that name.

At a closer glance I noticed the trademark is "Eve Online" and not
really Eve.  "Eve Directory Server" is not the same name and it does not
infringe on this trademark.  I do understand your concern though but
where do we draw the line.  Also for the record we had the name Eve
before they did.  Sounds silly but true.  We've been under incubation
for a long time now 14 months and when I checked in the begining they
where not even on the map.

>   3) Janus is a trademark of Janus International Holding Co, which has
>      actively defended it in other contexts:
>
> <http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2002/d2002-0201.html>.

Youch!

>      Janus is also the name of several software projects and at least
> one
>      software company.  I do not consider it sufficiently free of
> risk  to
>      be used as the name of an Apache product.

This is just trouble! I agree.  Let's just quickly find another name for
this.  Any recommendations would be welcome.

>   4) Snickers is a trademark of MARS, Inc.  It is actively defended and
>      used on-line, and thus unlikely to be usable by the ASF for more
> than
>      a few months before they send us a Cease & Desist.

Snickers is an ASN.1 software library which is a Snacc4J replacement.
It's obviously not a candy bar.  Do they really have the right to
enforce a Cease and Desist?  This is definately trademarked by MARS as
you say no doubt about that.  We need to rename this as well but just
for clarification how do companies like this get away with it?

http://www.snickers.se/Snickers/ChangeMarket.aspx

>   5) Kerberos is a trademark of MIT.  We cannot legally distribute
> software
>      under that name.

No trademark is registered with Kerberos as far as I can see.  Also
looks like Enrique performed some similar searches and found:

"The USPTO Trademark Electronic Search System shows efforts by MIT to
trademark Kerberos in the early 90's were abandoned.  Published articles
up until the late 90's may claim a trademark by MIT, but this is not the
case. "

> It is the responsibility of all Apache projects to search for and verify
> compliance with trademark law prior to release of products that might be
> considered an infringement.

Understood!  We do take this seriously although we have some absurd
issues here w.r.t. Snickers and Janus.  We shall address these
immediately.

Thanks,
Alex