directory-dev mailing list archives

From Enrique Rodriguez <erodrig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Directory project releases
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2004 02:48:08 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>   5) Kerberos is a trademark of MIT.  We cannot legally distribute
> software under that name.

I disagree.

1)  I find no record that MIT has a trademark on Kerberos.  The USPTO
Trademark Electronic Search System shows efforts by MIT to trademark
Kerberos in the early 90's were abandoned.  Published articles up until
the late 90's may claim a trademark by MIT, but this is not the case.

2)  There are no trademarks by anyone else on Kerberos.

3)  Major commercial distributions freely name their products Kerberos,
although prepended with their corporation's name, eg:

Microsoft Kerberos
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secauthn/security/microsoft_kerberos.asp

JCSI Kerberos
http://www.wedgetail.com/jcsi/kerberos/FAQ.html