directory-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Directory project releases
Date Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:33:43 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> -1  The incubator status file does not reflect any progress towards
>     clearing the IP (you MUST update that file).
>
> Furthermore, the release artifacts use names that are trademarked and in
> use by other projects.  Some questions need to be answered, while others
> require a rename:
>
>   1) Has Matt Walsh approved transfer of the SEDA name?  Is that library
>      a direct descendant of <http://sourceforge.net/projects/seda/>, in
>      which case the version numbering should be 4.0, or does it
> merely  use
>      his architecture (in which case it is wrong to use the name)?

It merely uses the architecture.  The name of the architecture in his
thesis is SEDA,
so there is some blurriness here.  I.e. what is product and what is
architecture.

>   2) Eve is a trademark of CCP Ltd. for use in on-line software.  We
> cannot
>      legally distribute software under that name.

:/ Didn't know that.

>   3) Janus is a trademark of Janus International Holding Co, which has
>      actively defended it in other contexts:
>
> <http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2002/d2002-0201.html>.
>      Janus is also the name of several software projects and at least
> one
>      software company.  I do not consider it sufficiently free of
> risk  to
>      be used as the name of an Apache product.

Agreed.  Doesn't it also have use in the financial industry?

>   4) Snickers is a trademark of MARS, Inc.  It is actively defended and
>      used on-line, and thus unlikely to be usable by the ASF for more
> than
>      a few months before they send us a Cease & Desist.

As people "snicker" in the background.  It always struck me as somewhat odd.
Can we stay away from "cute" names?  I know its less sexy to call something
BERencoder than it is to call it Snickers, but sometimes at the end of
the day
you just want something you can release without any headaches.

>   5) Kerberos is a trademark of MIT.  We cannot legally distribute
> software
>      under that name.

Can we at least say it is our implementation of the Kerberos authentication
system?

> It is the responsibility of all Apache projects to search for and verify
> compliance with trademark law prior to release of products that might be
> considered an infringement.

I'm pretty sure there wasn't anything intentional, although I have to wonder
what tools are readily available to discover these things.

--

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better
idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far,