directory-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: [seda] available ports and tests
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:08:14 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Berin,
>
> I read your blog about testing with sockets.  Would scanning for an
> available port for binds make this problem go away or will you still
> be able to bind even if there is a firewall in your way?

Like I meantioned on the blog, for windows there will be no problem (it
doesn't deny access to the socket if you are connecting to the loopback
url).  For Linux, there will be issues as the iptables/ipchains based
firewalls will block
everything that is not explicitly allowed--which means for anything
above port 1024 (the user range) will be blocked
by default.

for reference, the blog entry is here:

http://www.jroller.com/page/bloritsch/20041214#programming_and_testing_socket_based

You can safely assume Unix OS's will take a better safe than sorry approach.

> BTW here's something Trustin whiped together which I use to scan for
> an available port to run my tests on.
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/incubator/directory/seda/trunk/src/java/org/apache/seda/listener/AvailablePortFinder.java?rev=57033&view=auto

I might have to check that out.   I'll look at closing the port I have
open ATM, so that I can see if it finds anything that can be used.  I'll
let you know.

--

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better
idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far,