directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Q: LookupFilter doesn't receive useful info
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:56:36 GMT
Mark Swanson wrote:

>>>As for the use - several commercial LDAP providers support dynamic views -
>>>which are needed to solve the largest pita LDAP problem in existence:
>>>getting different email clients to play nice with each other's
>>>addressbooks.
>>>

>>Really which ones already do that.  I'd like to look into the mechanisms
>>they use.
>>

>Sorry for the slow response. My inbox runeth over.
>
>I did a google search and within a minute found one:
>
>http://www.octetstring.com/solutions/AttributeTranslation.php
>
>In my previous searches I found others too. It shouldn't be too hard.
>
>NOTE: I personally am not interested in a script approach.

Yep I can understand why.  It them becomes a matter of parameterization
on how one could specify transformations.  I have some ideas here using
PERL5 regular syntaxes for transforming values and then there are other
things you can do to map an attribute of an objectClass to another
attribute of another objectClass.  I don't think a clean means to do
this is that hard to come by.

>Well, based on my bug reports it looks I'm the only tester who's really using
>eve. Working with me on the interceptor/filter stuff may not be directly
>related to what you want to do for the 0.8 release but at least you would
>have someone hammering eve. IMHO the only way you can be sure you are
>releasing a usable release is by knowing eve can take a good pounding.

Agreed! This is the first release of Eve and well its getting released
so we can get people to pound on it.  It's a kick the tires release and
totally alpha quality.  I'd love it if you could still keep pounding on
her even though a formal approach to your specific problem is something
we want to do after this release.

Alex