directory-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Wallace <rwall...@thewallacepack.net>
Subject Re: [mina] ProtocolHandler interface
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:58:57 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:

<snip/>

>> I do agree with Berin too.  I'd like to see one interface for this stuff
>> in protocol-api.  That way, in the future, it would be easy to switch
>> between MINA and SEDA without having to write any glue code.
>>
> Funny I was just thinking abotu you before sending my last email.  Yes I
> do agree about switching between SEDA and MINA.  However if there are
> compelling reasons to (for now only) change the protocol provider
> interface to find common ground between seda, mina and sedang then we
> should just get it done now.  Plus I'd like not to have to be the one
> changing Eve and Kerberos to make it work with MINA or sedang ;).
>
> In the solid state a protocol provider implementation (for LDAP, POP3,
> Kerberos whatever) should not have to change any code to switch from one
> framework to another.  In the end the Protocol API should be solid
> needed no change at all.   Correct me if I'm wrong but think this is
> what you mean.

Yes, that is exactly what I mean.  Sorry if it didn't come across
clearly, but you stated it perfectly.  The only reason I didn't suggest
changing the seda interfaces is you're getting ready for release.  It
was my understanding that after the release the seda implementation as
it is would be getting replaced, most likely with Berins implementation
since it is closer to what is currently in place.  Is this no longer
accurate?

Rich