directory-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: [mina] ProtocolHandler interface
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:54:58 GMT
Trustin Lee wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I admit I am very accustomed with Netty-like session handler
>interface, but the entry users like Alex and other persons would not
>feel so familiar with it:
>
>http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/incubator/directory/network/trunk/mina/src/java/org/apache/mina/protocol/ProtocolHandler.java?rev=122627&view=auto
>
>So I want to know what all of you guys are thinking about this
>ProtocolHandler interface, and to improve its usability.
>
>If most of protocols are OK with simple request-response-close
>connection model, it would be also possible to provide two difference
>interfaces, ProtocolHandler (simple one) and AdvancedProtocolHandler
>which extends ProtocolHandler and provides full event handler methods
>like the current revision of ProtocolHandler.
>
>If is absolutely OK if you can suggest me totally different and better
>interface of course.
>
>Cheers,
>Trustin

Trustin, did you look at the protocol-api stuff I committed?

I'm not married to it, but my goal was to not stray too far from what we
currently
have, simplify, yet keep the power we need.  As far as I am concerned,
it works
for me.  The question of course is will it work for you and Mina?

I'd like to have one protocol api that we both use, and work from that
perspective.
As much as possible I would really like the protocol providers to not
have to know
anything about the networking layer and vice versa.  I think I have
something that
works, but I'd like your comments.

As to open-response-close, that is more for stateless protocols like
HTTP.  From what
I understand it is very common for LDAP clients to remain connected for
extended
periods of time and perform many request/response cycles.  Not to
mention the HTTP
keep-alive option of doing many request/responses from one connection as
well (usually
for all elements in the same page).

--

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better
idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far,