directory-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Preliminary project structuring and Networking
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:12:05 GMT
I started the process of the preliminary bagging and tagging of what we
have--focusing
primarily on new stuff that is not part of the current release.

Trustin, I did not move the MINA stuff to the new network location as I
figured it would
be rude to move what you are working on out from underneath you.  The
place to move it
is created, and a first cut at the new protocol API layer is done.

The protocol-api has a first version done and tagged--but it is not
final by any means.
Since now there is some code to try compiling against and play with
please let me know
any feedback.  Also, keep in mind that this is for SEDANG and MINA, and
not the
current crop of stuff.

The protocol-api is designed for asynchronous IO, and identifying
clients via the socket
connection.  As far as the network layer is concerned that is the best
that can be done--
anything beyond that is protocol specific.  To make it easier to manage
the process a
bit, I included a way for the network layer to respond to protocol
initiated events without
knowing anything specific about the network layer.  I did try to be
generous with the
comments, esp. since almost everything is interfaces.

Please let me know any comments so that we can verify what is there will
work for
the foreseeable future.  If not, we can refine it as necessary.

--

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better
idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far,