directory-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: [OT] Non-blocking file I/O and TLS/SSL support
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 01:34:54 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Richard Wallace wrote:
>
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> This is only slightly off topic, but I was wondering if anyone knew
>> the current status of non-blocking file I/O and support for TLS/SSL
>> with channels in Java.  I had been hoping that it was going to be in
>> the last version released (1.5 or 5 or whatever), but it wasn't.
>

> Yeah Santa never made it that time :(.

The SEDA folks (read Matt Welsh and co.) had put together something of
that nature for TLS/SSL.
TLS/SSL is generally the same basic protocol with a different set of
ciphers (at least this is my current
understanding).  I used to have a bit more info on the handshaking
protocol when I put PKS support
in JMeter--but I'm a bit rusty right now.  I have a book on Java
encryption, which might have some
clues.

It can/should be implemented a sort of subprotocol (if you can embed
protocols).  Perhaps it can be
implemented in a MINA/SEDA agnostic manner.  Will look into it.

As far as async file IO, the SEDA folks faked it.  They used a random
access file object and sent
events to it through the "stage" interface.  Essentially they made it
behave as if it were async, but
it really wasn't.

We might be able to fake enough of it using Futures. (Doug Lee
concurrent/Java 1.5 concurrent)

--

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better
idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far,