directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [release] How are we all progressing
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:30:39 GMT
Funny I think i said the same in my last email - before reading this one.

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Phil Steitz wrote:
>

>>[all sorts of good things ...]
>>

>Ironically, I was discussing this with Alex just this afternoon.
>

>>>From what I have observed, it can save time and wrangling over
>>the same old problems over and over again if we just decide to
>>follow the pattern of another apache project
>>

>Actually, I don't agree.  Now that we've switched to SVN, I believe that we
>have new workflow patterns that we can evaluate and improve upon how we did
>things with CVS.  I'd like to see us explore new ways, and if they work
>well, we can provide a model for how release management is done.

+1

>One thought is this ...
>
>For a given Release, we decide which component(s) are going to be put out in
>a coordinated fashion for that Release.  This may not be all of the
>components, and components may be independently releasable, hence the
>separate {ttb} structures under them, but we are likely to do coordinated
>releases, as well.  An example would be that even though SEDA be be released
>separately, a given Release of Eve is going to be tested and built with a
>particular version of SEDA.
>
>Once we have decided upon the set of components, the Release Manager will
>setup a directory structure, possibly off the project root, to hold the
>components that will make up that particular coordinated release.  For each
>component, we may have a tag (marking the state of the component at the time
>we start the process) and a branch (marking the current state of that
>component).  For each component, development will continue in its {ttb}
>structure as normal.  The Release Manager will decide what to merge from the
>component development tree into the release branch.  No one else will merge
>into the release structure.  At the point where the release happens, the
>release branch can be copied back to the development tree's tags/ directory
>as a marker.
>
>That's a strawman.  Feel free to modify.

Yeah I'm really liking these ideas and just have to squeeze more time
out of the day to make them happen.  I'm thinking we release as often as
possible to start iteratively experimenting with these ideas.  In 0.9
branch (which will be dev branch in trunk after 0.8 goes out) I want to
push releases out every month or two to get new features out to the
community as fast as possible instead of sitting in a repo.  Anyhow this
gives us the iterative process testing machine we need to really put
these ideas to the test and evolve them.

Alex