directory-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [release] How are we all progressing
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2004 01:48:39 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I think it would be nice if we can coordinate a release of most projects
> together this first time.  We really don't have to.  I just wanted to
> get a sense from everyone on where they are for trying to release on the
> week of the 27th right before new years.  I have eve, ldap, seda, and
> snickers almost ready to release at any point with minor details that
> are still lingering out there.
>
> I can even release before then.  So gimme some feedback on naming, and
> janus.  I think we can prepare by requesting permission to release from
> the Incubator PMC.

I would like to get a [naming] release out as well.  The core existing
code is certainly stable and well-tested from use in tomcat. To get a
0.8-ish release out, I think we need to do the following:

1) Settle the jar division issue. Probably end up with 3 or more jars.
This is not a huge issue, but we need to get it right so users have good
flexibility and both building and integrating are easy. I will keep
pestering Hen until he figures it out ;-)

2) Improve the web site and docs -- need better explanation of how the
whole setup works.  Not a huge effort.  I should be able to get this
done in the next couple of weeks.

3) Improve package and source javadocs.  Lots of time could be spent
here; but I can combine this with 2) and get us into decent shape in a
couple of weeks.

4) Clean up the tests and increase coverage to the point where we have
at least some coverage of all key classes / functions.  This is where I
may not be able to get it all done in time for a 2004 release; but I
will do my best.  Once I improve the docs, others may be able to step in
and help here more.

Its great to see products starting to come out here!

At some point, we should discuss release policies and processes. From
what I have observed, it can save time and wrangling over the same old
problems over and over again if we just decide to follow the pattern of
another apache project (e.g. Struts, Tomcat, HTTPd, James, Jakarta
Commons...pick your favorite).  I don't really have strong opinions on
this, other than to make sure that we adhere to apache-level
requirements. The J-C guidelines here
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/decisions.html and here
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/ are a good place to start;
but as I said, I am open to any reasonable approach.  In any case, its
probably a good idea to get this stuff ironed out while we are still in
the the 0.x stage.

-Phil