directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: add entry no longer works.
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:54:13 GMT
Mark Swanson wrote:

>On December 10, 2004 2:15 pm, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>

>>Mark Swanson wrote:
>>

>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>Somehow over the past couple of days it has become impossible to add
>>>entries to eve. I thought it was me, but I've spent a few hours going
>>>over everything and I'm pretty sure it's not. Here is a simple test case
>>>that used to work (and works fine against OpenLDAP).
>>>
>>>Using this simple LDIF:
>>>
>>>dn: dc=home2, dc=mark
>>>

>>You got a partition hanging off of
>>
>>dc=mark
>>
>>??
>>

>Yes. That is how I have my dev environment set up.
>
>Um, what is an eve partition?

Ay there's the rub - take a look here and you can setup a partition:

http://www.apache.org/~akarasulu/eve-site/partitions.html

>>If not add should fail.  If so add should work but you need to bind to
>>dc=mark to see that naming context rather than jxplorer.  Try to bind to
>>dc=mark.
>>

>It didn't help; and I didn't have to do that before.

OpenLDAP and Eve differ in this regard.

>>Usually LDAP clients will bind to a specific namingContext referred to in
>>the Root DSE's namingContexts attribute.  This is a multivalued attribute
>>that contains DN's of namingContext suffixes.  Meaning where the roots to
>>the tree served by the DSA reside.  So if you list the namingContexts
>>you'll get this on the eample with the Apache partition added to the
>>server:
>>
>>ldapsearch -h localhost -p 10389 -s base -b "" -D 'uid=admin,ou=system'  -x
>>-w secret '(objectClass=*)' namingContexts
>>

>Neat command!
>
>If I point it to openldap I get:
>dn:
>namingContexts: dc=home2,dc=mark
>
>All I have to do to openldap is to give it the ldif I posted and it will
>create that naming context. This doesn't work with eve.
>

>>#
>>dn:
>>namingContexts: dc=apache,dc=org
>>namingContexts: ou=system
>>
>># search result
>>search: 2
>>result: 0 Success
>>
>># numResponses: 2
>># numEntries: 1

Ah ok you're running Eve using the eve.properties which is really an
example of what you could be doing.  Here's how I'd adapt that for your
own personal config:

#
# General JNDI Properties
#

java.naming.factory.initial=org.apache.eve.jndi.EveContextFactory
java.naming.security.authentication=simple
java.naming.security.principal=uid=admin,ou=system
java.naming.security.credentials=secret

#
# LDAP Provider Properties
#

#java.naming.ldap.attributes.binary=

#
# Eve Provider Properties
#

eve.wkdir=apache.org
eve.disable.anonymous=true

eve.net.ldap.port=10389

# create apache partition

eve.db.partitions=mark
eve.db.partition.suffix.mark=dc=mark
eve.db.partition.indices.mark=objectClass ou uid
eve.db.partition.attributes.mark.objectClass=top domain extensibleObject
eve.db.partition.attributes.mark.dc=mark

# set up all the schemas used

eve.schemas=org.apache.eve.schema.bootstrap.CorbaSchema
org.apache.eve.schema.bootstrap.CoreSchema
org.apache.eve.schema.bootstrap.CosineSchema
org.apache.eve.schema.bootstrap.EveSchema
org.apache.eve.schema.bootstrap.InetorgpersonSchema
org.apache.eve.schema.bootstrap.JavaSchema
org.apache.eve.schema.bootstrap.ScheduleworldSchema
org.apache.eve.schema.bootstrap.SystemSchema

>I really have been using the ldif and modify fine with earlier versions of
>eve...
>
>I only see ou=system in my eve installation. What ldif did you have to use to
>create dc=apache,dc=org?

You do not need to create the root suffix node it is automaticatlly
created for you when you provide this in the configuration:

eve.db.partitions=mark
eve.db.partition.suffix.mark=dc=mark
eve.db.partition.indices.mark=objectClass ou uid
eve.db.partition.attributes.mark.objectClass=top domain extensibleObject
eve.db.partition.attributes.mark.dc=mark

>>Check to make sure you have dc=mark as a valid namingContexts value and
>>make sure you bind to it as the baseDn in your client.
>>

>I always have a baseDN of "dc=home2,dc=mark" in all of my clients.
>
>What's strange is that ldapadd reports success, yet nothing is shown with
>jxplorer. You'd think eve would return an error if something went wrong...?

It should hmmm that needs to be checked out.  I'll see if I can
reproduce this.

Alex