directory-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Getting a sense of the subproject structure
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:46:49 GMT
<rant type="good natured">
  The project structure for directory is mixed up, and there isn't a
clear picture of how they relate.
  Of course, this is more true the lower down the stack you go (which is
where I started working).
  There is some stuff in "snickers" and other stuff in "ldap" that seems
to cross relate.
</rant>

Well, this is an incubator project, and we have something that does
work.  I don't like work for
work's sake, but at the same time I also like a sense of order and
layering to APIs that are for
the most part intuitive.

The way things are currently structured, I would assume the following:

seda - lowest level network only layer
snickers/ldap - protocol provider for integrating with the ldap server
naming - JNDI provider for working with embedded or networked ldap server
eve - the LDAP server on steroids
kerberos - the kerberos authentication protocol

I am not too certain on "janus" and "rms" what they would be.

I would like to set up some modifications to the project heirarchy:

protocol-api - the core interfaces for networking/protocol providers
network - the place for the new seda and mina
ldap? - common code for ldap clients and servers
providers - where protocol providers are located
naming - the JNDI stuff
eve - where eve is
kerberos - where kerberos is

that would clean things up a bit, and as long as you know that if you
compile what is in protocol-api you can then go to network and
install those, and so on until everything is done.

Could someone enlighten me on janus and rms?

--

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better
idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far,