directory-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <>
Subject Getting a sense of the subproject structure
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:46:49 GMT
<rant type="good natured">
  The project structure for directory is mixed up, and there isn't a
clear picture of how they relate.
  Of course, this is more true the lower down the stack you go (which is
where I started working).
  There is some stuff in "snickers" and other stuff in "ldap" that seems
to cross relate.

Well, this is an incubator project, and we have something that does
work.  I don't like work for
work's sake, but at the same time I also like a sense of order and
layering to APIs that are for
the most part intuitive.

The way things are currently structured, I would assume the following:

seda - lowest level network only layer
snickers/ldap - protocol provider for integrating with the ldap server
naming - JNDI provider for working with embedded or networked ldap server
eve - the LDAP server on steroids
kerberos - the kerberos authentication protocol

I am not too certain on "janus" and "rms" what they would be.

I would like to set up some modifications to the project heirarchy:

protocol-api - the core interfaces for networking/protocol providers
network - the place for the new seda and mina
ldap? - common code for ldap clients and servers
providers - where protocol providers are located
naming - the JNDI stuff
eve - where eve is
kerberos - where kerberos is

that would clean things up a bit, and as long as you know that if you
compile what is in protocol-api you can then go to network and
install those, and so on until everything is done.

Could someone enlighten me on janus and rms?

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better
idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far,
the Universe is winning."
                - Rich Cook

View raw message