directory-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: directory and gump
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:22:53 GMT

>There is an outstanding issue in Gump that all project names should be
>synchronized with the Maven artifactIds.

I'm well aware of this, but this is just to ease things in the future.
It shouldn't stop anything happening now.

>However, there are some artifactIds that are non-deterministic and some that
>have been moving around;

Moving around is always going to be a problem.

>Magic chose to have the Gump support built in to its object model, so that the
>mapping can be explicit in the model and the desriptor generation is

I still don't get how Magic does this. Would "ant" declare that it is
also "jakarta-ant" so that projects looking for "jakarta-ant" find the
right thing? How does this get fed to gump?

Anyway, I added dependency properties so that projects can control their
own destiny. This means if a project changes names, its dependees will
all break, but I think they'd want to know that anyway.

<dependency>
  <groupId>...</groupId>
  <artifactId>...</artifactId>
  <properties>
    <gump.project>...</gump.project>
  </properties>
</dependency>

With that, the gump descriptor should not need to be hand edited.

>I am not certain about this. It may be irrelevant to Maven, but is it
>irrelevant to Gump? OTOH, it will tell quickly.

According to the documentation, it was for classpath generation.
Shouldn't be needed.

>Does Multiproject support aggregates to a single descriptor or generate one in
>each directory?? Single descriptors per project may not be appreciated by
>other Gump folks, but I am not sure how it would be perceived.

Yes, it does it like you had previously done it for eve. One module,
many projects.

>Yes, there are in fact namespace issues and I think this is more a Gump
>problem than a Maven problem. If you check the id= attribute for <jar>
>elements and the corresponding ids= attribute for <depend> elements, you see
>the 'hack' to solve some of it.

This is what matching the IDs will buy eventually.

So, does eve/trunk/gump.xml now look correct to you? Is there anyway we
can get it to run and find out?

If there is anything else you want to discuss about the changes I made
for Maven/Gump, we should probably take it over to the gump list...

- Brett