directory-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: issues with the recent build changes
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2004 13:30:05 GMT
Brett Porter wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a couple of questions about the way the recent change to the
>build/versions was done.
>
>For the versions - the removal of the SNAPSHOT was perhaps not correct. Say
>someone builds this and gets ldap-common-0.2.0.jar. Then they change something
>and build again to get... ldap-common-0.2.0.jar. Which is the latest? If there's
>a newer one in the remote repository - but Maven won't download it.

May I interject something here?  I really hope we never run into a
situation where we release
0.2.0 on the remote repository and then update the JAR and re-release it
with the same version
number.  Such an action would be wrong on many levels.  A version is a
marked snapshot of
the library that was determined to work as expected.  If the contents of
that version change, then
the expectations change--that is bad.  Which is why we increment versions.

The only time a version may change in a local repository is when we are
building potential
new libraries to use in the overall system--but aren't quite sure.
People are lazy so they either
forget to change the version ID to SNAPSHOT or increment versions as
necessary.  But that's
the local repository.  What is on the remote one should remain the same.

--

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better
idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far,