directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [naming] Next steps
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 07:55:12 GMT
Phil Steitz wrote:

> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> Henri Yandell wrote:

<snip/>

>> That would be really nice.  If there were only a way to get
>> notification back from the file system of changes.  You can do that
>> on windows but not on other OSs it seems hence the lack of support in
>> JDK.  But notification of change over polling is an awesome thing to
>> have.
>

> What are the use cases?  Isn't it better to use the JNDI / LDAP APIs
> to listen for / trigger changes?

Yeah that true! This is cake for the Eve LDAP JNDI provider since we can
detect all alterations coming in through our interfaces (LDAP or JNDI).
This is not the case for other namespaces/providers which store files
that are more likely to be altered by a human editor.  Things like
properties files that are accessed via JNDI for example can change
because they get edited.  Then you want to detect this back door edit.
Such a mechanism would help achieve this is I guess what we were thinking.

Alex