directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Authentication out of the box
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 04:00:38 GMT
Mark Swanson wrote:

>On December 5, 2004 6:11 pm, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>

>>Here's some notes on why Authentication is so wacked and where it should
>>go.  I'll wait a few hours before implementing this to get feedback.  If
>>anyone opposes I can roll back.
>>
>>Before I forget ...
>>
>>http://wiki.apache.org/directory/EveGeneral#preview
>>

>Just a few humble comments:
>
>1. I expect to connect to a service with the admin name and password if I want
>admin access. Setting two properties to do this is expected and amounts to an
>irrelevant amount of work.

True.  Good point.

>2. Setting properties during connection is the expected behaviour. I do not
>like default values (for admin, anonymous, anything). If I am trying to
>explicitly do something and forget a property, please don't use a default
>behaviour that will change the meaning of the environment I'm trying to set
>up without telling me. You're trying to be nice and considerate, but I just
>know I am going to get bitten by any sort of default behaviour.

Ok that makes my life much easier actually.  Plus the logic to do this
is cluttering things up.  It's messy stuff.  Perhaps the best thing to
do is keep it simple as you suggest.  I will do that.

Now for the admin password on startup what should that be.  Should we
just use secret as the default initial admin password always?  I think
that would be simplest.

Alex