directory-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject [naming] Thoughts... Was: How are we all progressing
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 07:07:28 GMT
On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:48:39 -0500, Phil Steitz <phil@steitz.com> wrote:

> I would like to get a [naming] release out as well.  The core existing
> code is certainly stable and well-tested from use in tomcat. To get a

I assume you mean we'd prioritise a release of naming-core?

> 0.8-ish release out, I think we need to do the following:
>
> 1) Settle the jar division issue. Probably end up with 3 or more jars.
> This is not a huge issue, but we need to get it right so users have good
> flexibility and both building and integrating are easy. I will keep
> pestering Hen until he figures it out ;-)

I'd definitely like to split it into more jars.

Immediate thoughts:

naming-core (keeping jmx bits in here for the moment)
naming-config (Brett's XmlConfigurator bits)
naming-factory (Most of the factories; EjbRef, TransactionRef)
naming-factory-mail (Couple of factories that add a dep)
naming-resource (core.resource package; resource factories; resource refs)

I don't fully grokk resources though, so I might be missing a lot.

What do you think? Too much?

> 2) Improve the web site and docs -- need better explanation of how the
> whole setup works.  Not a huge effort.  I should be able to get this
> done in the next couple of weeks.

Immediate thoughts:

Remove apachecon logo
Javadoc
Clover

Do we put javadoc, clover, source-html'd into svn for deploys?

Run maven then cp by hand onto svn? rsync --delete locally?

> 3) Improve package and source javadocs.  Lots of time could be spent
> here; but I can combine this with 2) and get us into decent shape in a
> couple of weeks.

First step, fix the bits that mention server.xml and any other Tomcat
specific stuff.

> 4) Clean up the tests and increase coverage to the point where we have
> at least some coverage of all key classes / functions.  This is where I
> may not be able to get it all done in time for a 2004 release; but I
> will do my best.  Once I improve the docs, others may be able to step in
> and help here more.

Clover:

http://www.apache.org/~bayard/naming-clover/

Hen