directory-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject [naming] Next steps
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 20:31:18 GMT
Okay, I've woken up again Naming-wise :) Many thoughts, questions and
examples of how I don't understand JNDI/LDAP. This is all mostly to
Phil I assume.

* First off; what's the deal with the "java:" context. I've always
assumed that it's just for Java containers etc, and I can happily put
things in other contexts, but a remark from someone (Alex?) on the
list makes me think I may be clueless here.

* My aim is to switch simple-jndi to using naming-core as its
underlying jndi engine. The only real feature I'll lose is that the
simple-jndi database is live, so I'll probably add some kind of
file-polling later on (Commons-IO needs that anyway if it's not
already there).

* Build instructions on the site. We need to get better instructions
there on how to check out of svn (all of directory needs this improved
I think, took me a long time to find the svn url). I'd also suggest
that we switch to telling people to build core and factory
individually rather as a big multiproject build. All the factory
dependency crap (javamail/jta etc) gets in the way of a nice easy core
build.

* Audit of the class files we pulled over from Tomcat. Do we need all
of this? I admit I don't understand the half of it :)  The resources/
and Refs are my immediate area for not knowing what they're about.
Another question is whether JMX should be there, which basically means
the NamingService and NamingServiceMBean. The Refs look like they
might belong with the Factory part rather than Core. Or some of them
anyway.

That's all that hits me currently,

Hen