directory-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Directory project releases
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2004 06:07:22 GMT
On Tuesday 28 December 2004 12:16, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> >   3) Janus is a trademark of Janus International Holding Co, which has
> >      actively defended it in other contexts:
> >
> > <http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2002/d2002-0201.html>.
>
> Youch!
>
> >      Janus is also the name of several software projects and at least
> > one
> >      software company.  I do not consider it sufficiently free of
> > risk  to
> >      be used as the name of an Apache product.
>
> This is just trouble! I agree.  Let's just quickly find another name for
> this.  Any recommendations would be welcome.

Janus is "God of Gates and Doorways" and a moon of Saturn was named after him
in 1966.
http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/profile.cfm?Object=Sat_Janus

The sited web page is about arbitration of a domain name and to regain control
of such domain name. Janus Capital Group does not seem to go after every use
of Janus, so it is not a matter of trademark issue;
http://www.janus-software.com/
http://www-odp.tamu.edu/database/
http://www.janus-eu.org/Temp2/index-f.htm
http://www.janusassociates.com/