directory-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: directory and gump
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:52:44 GMT
On Friday 10 December 2004 06:21, Brett Porter wrote:

> I reread the documentation and did the following:
> - stopped mapping ids (the ability is there for the project to do that
> in its descriptor)

There is an outstanding issue in Gump that all project names should be
synchronized with the Maven artifactIds.
However, there are some artifactIds that are non-deterministic and some that
have been moving around;
1. Sun's packages like javamail and jca are examples of the former.
2. xml-apis and logkit are examples of the second.
So I think the Gump Meisters are working on a mapping solution for Gump, BUT
that makes the automated generation only 'advisory' and not conclusive.
Magic chose to have the Gump support built in to its object model, so that the
mapping can be explicit in the model and the desriptor generation is
conclusive (i.e. never need to modify manually - who could manage it for
Avalon's 250kB descriptor).

> - removed work and mkdir (these seem irrelevant for Maven)

I am not certain about this. It may be irrelevant to Maven, but is it
irrelevant to Gump? OTOH, it will tell quickly.

> - added junitreport
> - fixed svn
> - added multiproject support

All Great.
Does Multiproject support aggregates to a single descriptor or generate one in
each directory?? Single descriptors per project may not be appreciated by
other Gump folks, but I am not sure how it would be perceived.

> The only thing I am now unsure about: I set module name to the
> artifactId, not the groupId. The reason for this is I believe (though
> don't see anything supporting or contradicting it in the doco) that
> gump may expect that name to be unique in the workspace, and groupId
> will not be.
>
> There is still the risk that there will be namespace issues later, but
> we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Yes, there are in fact namespace issues and I think this is more a Gump
problem than a Maven problem. If you check the id= attribute for <jar>
elements and the corresponding ids= attribute for <depend> elements, you see
the 'hack' to solve some of it.

Cheers
Niclas
--