directory-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Swanson <m...@ScheduleWorld.com>
Subject Re: add entry no longer works.
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:37:40 GMT
On December 10, 2004 2:15 pm, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Mark Swanson wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >Somehow over the past couple of days it has become impossible to add
> > entries to eve. I thought it was me, but I've spent a few hours going
> > over everything and I'm pretty sure it's not. Here is a simple test case
> > that used to work (and works fine against OpenLDAP).
> >
> >Using this simple LDIF:
> >
> >dn: dc=home2, dc=mark
>
> You got a partition hanging off of
>
> dc=mark
>
> ??

Yes. That is how I have my dev environment set up.

Um, what is an eve partition?

> If not add should fail.  If so add should work but you need to bind to
> dc=mark to see that naming context rather than jxplorer.  Try to bind to
> dc=mark.

It didn't help; and I didn't have to do that before.

> Usually LDAP clients will bind to a specific namingContext referred to in
> the Root DSE's namingContexts attribute.  This is a multivalued attribute
> that contains DN's of namingContext suffixes.  Meaning where the roots to
> the tree served by the DSA reside.  So if you list the namingContexts
> you'll get this on the eample with the Apache partition added to the
> server:
>
> ldapsearch -h localhost -p 10389 -s base -b "" -D 'uid=admin,ou=system'  -x
> -w secret '(objectClass=*)' namingContexts

Neat command!

If I point it to openldap I get:
dn:
namingContexts: dc=home2,dc=mark

All I have to do to openldap is to give it the ldif I posted and it will
create that naming context. This doesn't work with eve.

> #
> dn:
> namingContexts: dc=apache,dc=org
> namingContexts: ou=system
>
> # search result
> search: 2
> result: 0 Success
>
> # numResponses: 2
> # numEntries: 1

I really have been using the ldif and modify fine with earlier versions of
eve...

I only see ou=system in my eve installation. What ldif did you have to use to
create dc=apache,dc=org?

> Check to make sure you have dc=mark as a valid namingContexts value and
> make sure you bind to it as the baseDn in your client.

I always have a baseDN of "dc=home2,dc=mark" in all of my clients.

What's strange is that ldapadd reports success, yet nothing is shown with
jxplorer. You'd think eve would return an error if something went wrong...?

--
Free SyncML-capable J2ME & J2SE replacement for Exchange and Outlook
http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/