directory-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Swanson <m...@ScheduleWorld.com>
Subject Re: Authentication out of the box
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 02:14:28 GMT
On December 5, 2004 6:11 pm, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Here's some notes on why Authentication is so wacked and where it should
> go.  I'll wait a few hours before implementing this to get feedback.  If
> anyone opposes I can roll back.
>
> Before I forget ...
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/directory/EveGeneral#preview

Just a few humble comments:

1. I expect to connect to a service with the admin name and password if I want
admin access. Setting two properties to do this is expected and amounts to an
irrelevant amount of work.

2. Setting properties during connection is the expected behaviour. I do not
like default values (for admin, anonymous, anything). If I am trying to
explicitly do something and forget a property, please don't use a default
behaviour that will change the meaning of the environment I'm trying to set
up without telling me. You're trying to be nice and considerate, but I just
know I am going to get bitten by any sort of default behaviour.

Cheers.

--
Free SyncML-capable J2ME & J2SE replacement for Exchange and Outlook
http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/