directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Tencé, Vincent" <vte...@optimuminformatique.com>
Subject RE: To release or not to release?
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:18:55 GMT
+1

I agree that it will push us to do the things we need to do. I've got many
on my side. Moreover, we'll learn a lot through this release process.

When are we planning the release? I'm asking since a lot of Janus code
recently upgraded out of sandbox and I'm really close to having enough
functionality for a first release. I have the authentication and
authorization code working nicely together now, and I'm almost done with the
XML builders. This will be enough for demonstration purposes and simple
usage. Next step will be to replace XML by a much more powerful scripting
interface (probably using groovy), for
configuration and wiring as well as authorization rules definition.

- Vincent

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Karasulu [mailto:aok123@bellsouth.net]
Sent: November 22, 2004 11:02 AM
To: Directory Developers List
Subject: To release or not to release?

Hi all,

After a few conversations with some peeps at A/C I've come to the
conclusion that we should shoot for a release even though we are still
under incubation.  Why?  Because I think this will push us to do things
like:

 o clean up the build,
 o update documents and site,
 o fix critical bugs,
 o get JIRA in order,
 o get everything building with gump,
 o tag things in subversion so new development can progress

It will also help us see how many active people we have on this team.
I'm seeing more an more of use being active and I think we're reaching
critical mass.  A release will help us see just how well we can band
together to get some serious work done and who will come out of the wood
work to help with that.

Keep in mind we may have to try over and over again to get a release of
some kind out the door.  It may take a while.  We may even graduate
incubator before this happens - who knows?  All I'm saying is this is a
good way to test our selves.   However there are areas where we will be
branching before this for new experimental changes like what Trustin
would like to do with SEDA and Alan and I would like to do with Snickers.

Thoughts?

Alex