directory-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: Maven build error for directory-naming core
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:08:36 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Saturday 27 November 2004 01:03, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>

>>Now really? If this is the case that's great.  How do we verify this
>>loophole?
>>

>For JavaMail the license text is;
>
>A. Software Internal Use and Development License Grant.
>  Subject to the terms and conditions of this
>  Agreement, including, but not limited to Section B
>  (Java Technology Restrictions) of these
>  Supplemental Terms, Sun grants you a non-exclusive,
>  non-transferable, limited license to reproduce
>  internally and use internally the binary form of
>  the Software complete and unmodified for the sole
>  purpose of designing, developing and testing your
>  Java applets and applications intended to run on
>  the Java platform ("Programs").
>
>Maybe I was wrong (and broken this license on a few hundred occassions), as it
>doesn't mention re-dsitrbute at all. (maybe text have changed over the years)
>
>OTOH, it could also be interpreted as it would be Ok for ASF to download and
>make available for ASF development, but not re-distribution to other parties.
>"internally" is also not defined, and if _I_ download on behalf of the entire
>Java developer and user community, or mankind for that matter, can I then say
>"internal use" being within planet earth?

I wouldn't count on it.  JavaMail and Co. used to be on Ibiblio, and
while the ideals are
noble, Sun's lawyers aren't.

Its a quick way to a cease and desist letter.

--

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better
idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far,