directory-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven build error for directory-naming core
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:13:07 GMT

> True but that's kind of unlawful and disrespectful WRT SUN.  IANAL but
> according to the law this is their stuff.  I don't think we want to do
> unlawful things as an organization.  It would give the wrong message.
> I think we can cordially ask SUN to see if they can change their
> policy even if it is specifically with regard to the ASF's ability to
> distribute without violating their policy.

I agree.

http://maven.apache.org/sun-licensing-journey.html

As you can see, nothing has really moved in about a year. This is about
the time geronimo started and it seemed to be decided that the hassle
wasn't worth it and recommend the geronimo spec jars instead.

Maybe it is worth trying to swap those in for naming?

Otherwise, I think we can come up with an alternative solution for the
build, and as far as distributing goes it should be fine as per the
product bit already discussed. This sucks for Maven though, as we aim to
be able to offer the same distribution by an alternative form that means
the jars are also available separately. So you'd have difficulty using
Maven to include naming in your own project.

Cheers,
Brett