directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: builds and releases
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:13:43 GMT
Brett Porter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After a brief discussion with Alex I've agreed to start helping out
> getting the Maven build in order for the release. I'm presently just
> attending to some bugs, but have also started taking down some
> thoughts on changes that could be made. Would like to gather some
> opinions before doing anything. There's also a bunch of stuff like
> JIRA URLs and such that need cleaning up, which I'll just do.
>
> Things I'd like to do:
> - rename group to directory, not incubator-directory to make it easier
> to later make the transition. Don't imagine there is any benefit from
> having the incubator there

I think we're required to have incubator- there.  The group Id actually
was directory up until about 6-9 months ago.  Personally I would not
mind having it revert back to directory especially since we're probably
really close to exiting the incubator.  However I'd like to double check
with Noel and the incubator PMC to make sure it's ok when a project is
this close to exiting incubation.  It makes sense to me to drop
incubator- as well from the group ID.

> - probably discussed before, but would like'org.apache.directory.*' as
> the package names (not really build related)
> - add the version to the SNAPSHOTs to indicate what the next release
> will be "1.0-SNAPSHOT" or maybe "1.0-M1-SNAPSHOT" (depends on what we
> plan to release)
> - move eve plugin up a directory in SVN
> - convert the ant tasks to pura java code, wrapped as a maven plugin
> and an ant task (if still needed)
> - ldap-ber-provider in snickers has an inconsistent name or location

Good point.  Basically the BER provider concept comes from the fact that
we used Snacc4J in the ldap-common package to encode and decode LDAP
messages.  I made a little pluggable provider based framework to avoid
dependencies on any one specific codec implementation such as Snacc4J.
Eventually Snickers came to be and I wrote a provider for it.  In the
ldap/trunk there are two projects of any significance: common and the
snacc-provider.  I think perhaps the snickers provider belongs here as a
peer maven project.   Perhaps you got that notion as well.

> Also:
> DateUtilsTest in ldap-common fails in any timezone other than -0500 :)
> Should DateUtils be setting TimeZone to UTC? The test seems to expect
> it, but then doesn't use that in the string.

Ahhhh a timezone dependent test case.  I thought I had fixed this at A/C
hehe.  Looks like the deltas are siting on my laptop.  For the time
being I'll just comment out the code until I figure out how best to test
the method.  Sorry about that its all my bad.

> I'll talk more on my thoughts about releases later on, I have to leave
> for work now.

Great thanks a lot Brett!
Alex