directory-dev mailing list archives

From Enrique Rodriguez <erodrig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: To release or not to release?
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:59:48 GMT
Martin Wegner wrote:
>>>From where we sit we need an open source, pure-Java based LDAP Server.
> Period.  That alone is a giant step forward.  OpenLDAP is just not cutting
> it anymore and the commercial servers are just too expensive.
>
> Once we have that then we can start adding things like direct DSML support
> and using Eve as a front end for other data sources (JDBC, DNS, NIS+,
> etc.).

Ha, I was just about to put a couple more schema into JIRA to get into
the Eve backend, like DNS and DHCP.  Good to see there may actually be
demand, more than just from me.

Incidentally, there is a new (for an RFC) Kerberos-protected DNS
protocol, RFC 3645:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3645.html

I've never heard of this RFC, and just happened to come across it
reading other RFC's.  We have the building blocks to put this together,
so I'm wondering if there is any demand for it.

> The first thing this project needs to do is provide a binary distribution.
>  This legitimizes the directory project for people who need components not
> source code.  Once you get a binary distribution out there you'll start to
> hear from folks like us what other bits of data are needed.  But until we
> get a handful of JAR files it is difficult to contribute.
>
> One thing I think you guys should keep in mind is what a lot of people are
> going to do with Eve right off the bat: embed it into a web server, like
> Tomcat.  Most of the open source JMS Servers do that now, right out of the
> box.  It is one of the things that has made ActiveMQ a success.  Eve
> should be embeddable as well.  We will certainly do it with the first JARs
> get.

We definitely have embeddability in mind.  The core stuff will be POJO
and we'll provide, or help with, wrappers for well-known containers.